Wednesday, April 05, 2006

M2C: Blame it on the Rain

My two cents on all the rain in California:

From the Simpsons:
Lisa (concerned upon seeing Homer who had moved out of the house for some reason): Dad, where have you been staying?
Homer: Have you heard of the Four Seasons?
Lisa (relieved): Yes!
Homer: Good. Because that's what I've been living through while sleeping in the park.

Usually there are four seasons in the Bay Area: Rainy, Sunny (except for fog in SF and Daly City), Really Hot (right when school starts in September), and Chapped Lips. This year rainy season has decided to stick around for 5 or 6 months starting with tropical storms around October followed by the usual winter pattern. Now when it rains in Florida, it is like a 10 minute shower that just passes through town, and you can feel the humidity disappear just before and after the downpour, so it is almost a pleasant break. However, rain in SF is like that guest who doesn't have a clue when to leave. He just sticks around for days at a time, tells you depressing stories, and keeps you up all night with loud snoring.

It's been raining so much I forgot baseball spring training had come and gone because the rain usually stops by then. The Giants already have had one game rained out - in San Diego of all places. It almost never rains down there.

This is the first time I've gone on road trips and dreaded coming back home each time. Once this rain stops, I might have to spend a month or so hiding out from the mold and pollen (or whatever it is I am allergic to). Hmm... maybe Hawaii will be nice. I haven't sneezed in that state yet.

A few weeks ago, when the wind and rain was particularly nasty, I saw one of those overnight shipping guys struggling to tie down a cart full of boxes he was delivering. Then despite all that one strong gust knocked over most of the boxes and had them rolling like tumbleweeds in different directions. The guy was really quick in wrangling the boxes back together even before I could think of helping (I was way at the other end of the parking lot) with the wind and rain making me want to head for the warmth and safety of my car.

Anyway, if someone in my apartment complex recently received a brand new, but defective desktop computer, don't blame the vendor. Blame it on the rain, yeah yeah.

Weather and commentary to be continued...

No comments: