Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Sports: Golden State Warriors

The Warriors finally look like a good team this season, but I fear I'll be jinxing them just by posting this. I say this because the last time I was excited about the Warriors was November 1994. I was with my manager in Beijing, China to teach a class. Managed to find an English paper with NBA standings (though delayed by a day or so) and saw the team had started the season undefeated with five straight wins. I bragged to my manager that this was the year. He just snickered at me, mumbled, "Uhh-huhhhh." Then flashed a knowing smile that only a middle-aged ex-surfer dude with several more years of experience and wisdom could get away with.

Sure enough I get home, and it's like the bubble burst. 10 game losing streak, injuries, a divided team, and eventually a fired coach.

So if the team starts losing from here on out, you can blame me. I still have a little bit of doubt. Who would ever dreamed of a day when the Warriors and Clippers would be tied for the lead in their division (with the Lakers down near the bottom)? While I opted to watch "Lost" instead of the game tonight, that may change in the near future. [I really didn't need yet another excuse to stay home in front of the TV set instead of working out at the gym, but I'll take it.]

1 comment:

Roderick said...

Hmm.... so far so good. Just won 5th game in a row and have sole possession of first place. Held my breath when Baron Davis went up high for a dunk thinking he might land wrong and suffer a season ending injury. Whew.

My fingers remain crossed.