Friday, December 02, 2005

TMI: An Odd Bird

I definitely would not classify myself a bird watcher. Maybe at best I'm a bird noticer who coudn't really name too many species. Anyway about a year ago, a strange-looking bird decided to call my apartment complex its home. At first, I'd be lucky to catch a glimpse of it about once every few weeks. Usually it would be at 2AM, when I'd be dragging myself home after working too late or catching a late movie optionally followed by a very late dinner or very early breakfast at Denny's. [I'd like to say I had been out clubbing instead, but too many people know me too well.] As soon as the bird would see me, it would dart off and disappear into the darkness. I figured I might be a figment of my imagination [particularly the type of imagination that kicks in after 2AM where I think I have a great idea, write it down, read it the next morning, then think to myself, "How did I come up with such a stupid idea?"], so I only mentioned it to a few people (who didn't seem to care). I worried if I told more people, they'd start looking at me the way people looked at Big Bird when he was still the only character who witnessed Mr. Snuffleupagus.

But tonight the bird decided to appear shortly after sunset for everyone to see. One lady who's lived at the same apartment complex as long as me if not longer was outside her apartment smoking a cigarette just 10 ft. from the bird. So I decided to talk to her.

"Do you know what kind of bird that is?" I asked.
"I think it's an Ereu."
"Arrow? How do you spell that?"
"T-H-A-T." [we both laugh] "No I think it's E-R-E-U. Usually I only see that guy hanging out after midnight pecking for bugs. Maybe he's injured because he's not running away from anybody. I'm going to see if he wants some bread crumbs. Have a nice weekend."

At that point she entered her apartment, and I rushed to my apartment to surf the Internet for this mysterious Ereu. Just one reference that it may be a type of a sandpiper but no pictures. Other sandpiper pictures look close, but my bird has almost no neck and a shorter beak.

I tried a site called http://whatbird.com, but after much time, the closest I come up with is a Midnight Heron.

Oh well, I give up, and chase the bird down with my camera. Hopefully, I didn't blind it with my flash. It's a smart bird, as soon as it heard the autofocus kick in again, it flew away. Can anybody help identify this?


4 comments:

Roger Snowden said...

It's a damned pigeon, Roderick. A winged rat.

Kill it.

Roger Snowden said...

Okay, maybe it's not actually a pigeon. Wrong beak. Still, it has germs. Histoplamosis is carried by birds, can make you blind or tear up your lungs like tuberculosis.

Kill it anyway.

Roderick said...

Plus it's like 2 or 3 times bigger than a pigeon or rat. The body is about the size of a six-month old kitten. Histoplamosis sounds almost as scary as Avian Flu except there apparently is a known treatment for the former.

In that sense, I don't think this bird is as much a threat as the flocks of gigantic Canada Geese that have resettled in HQ year-round. Unfortunately, they may not have been tasty enough for some peregrine falcons to stick around and thin the growing population.

Roger Snowden said...

We get flocks of Canada geese, southbound in fall, northbound around February. I guess we live right in their migration path. A "flyway", I think they call it.

Also have Peregrines and some Bald Eagles in our back yard, due to the lake next to us. They like the tall trees and must eat the ducks and bunnies.

Funny, how our concern for wildlife has resulted in population explosions of formerly engangered species. We now have a Mountain Lion problem in Omaha, with families spotted less than 2 miles from my house. A male mountain lion became road kill a couple of months ago, also nearby.

I expect them to be spotted in our backyard woods any time now, since this must be a great habibat for them.

Whoda thunk it? Mountain Lions in Omaha.