Sunday, November 04, 2007

TV: Amazing Race: All-Stars: Ep 10?

Okay I took a six-month+ leave of absence from my blog for reasons I may or may not go into someday. On top of that I lost my notes for an episode (if not two) of the Amazing Race All-Stars. But since the new season starts tonight, I better post what few notes I do have.

This leg involved teams racing from Kuala Lumpur to Hong Kong. The order of finish was pretty much determined in the Kuala Lumpur airport as teams jostled for spots on various waiting lists. That order was influenced by two Amazing Race laws: "Maintain good karma" and "Listen to the woman." Team Cha Cha Cha being the nicest of the surviving teams managed to find the various airline offices at Kuala Lumpur airport first. This allowed them to be the first team on standby, survive a flipped over stunt car, and win a return trip to Hong Kong for Chinese New Years. By not listening to Danielle, Eric kept getting lost on the roads of Hong Kong and perhaps missed a chance to move up a spot with the help of another AR Law: "Know your directions otherwise ask." Fortunately, it was a non-elimination leg, so the pair do get to live to race another week.

Hong Kong is one of the cities I have actually visited. I was supposed to work there for six months but the whole exchange was canceled at the last minute. My manager did not want to lose a veteran for someone who had only been hired a few weeks earlier. Eventually, I did get to visit Hong Kong for a week for business reasons, but I spent most of my time at a customer site and never did get to see most of the places the teams went to -- Victoria Park and the Jockey Club. The apartment I would have lived in was in Happy Valley near the Jockey Club. I did take the subway to Kowloon, but did not feel like taking the ferry back.

Also I have changed flights in Hong Kong more times than I can remember. I think the last time was the day Great Britain handed over control of Hong Kong to China. Oh no, that was the second to last time as I went to Singapore. My return flight from Singapore also went through Hong Kong shortly after monsoon Dot had passed through, and experienced the scariest air pocket during takeoff. Sometimes when I see the airplane coming apart in "Lost", it reminds me of what when through my mind that day. But otherwise I try to forget that was my last trip through Hong Kong. I will still go back someday if only to check out the newer airport and all the construction that must have happened over the years.

The Kung Fu fighting detour looked like a bunch of fun. But I think I would have had more fun in the stunt car. How they set things up so that the car would flip back up on its wheels at the end was pretty cool.

The other detour was called Lost in Translation, but last I checked that movie took place in Tokyo. Teams were wise to avoid what sounded like a Needle in the Haystack challenge.

Mirna was quoted the episode title. And Charla on roller sneakers was kind of cute.

Next episode brings us some Yield drama. Back to my DVR I go.

No comments: