Wednesday, March 08, 2006

TV: Amazing Race 9 - Leg 2

The subtitle for this episode was "I'm filthy ... and I love it!"
Nice choice. If I were driving a car when the contestant said that line the way she said it, I'd likely lose my focus and smash into a fire hydrant.

Otherwise the race had more adventure than interesting banter this week, but there were no major surprises at the finish.

The panorama shots of the beautiful Brazilian countryside (and last week's Rockies) do make me wish this had been recorded in widescreen. But perhaps HD cameras aren't mobile enough for international travel yet?

I do have a fear of heights, but with an odd twist. I start to imagine my glasses will slip off my face, and I'll fall to my death trying to catch my glasses before it reaches terminal velocity and kills some innocent bystander on the ground. So I generally need to have one hand on a handrail and another on the rim of my glasses. I don't recall wearing contacts while leaning over the ledge of a tall structure, but if someone is going to get killed by a high-speed falling soft contact lens, I'm sure it would be my fault somehow. Nevertheless, I'd be pretty game for rope climbing up a waterfall (with lots of professional supervision nearby of course).

The Florida team may need to have themselves neutered, otherwise a distraction will cost them the million-dollar prize. On the other hand, had they been following the Double D's rather than the Hippies, they would not have pulled over at a gas station for directions and lost unnecessary time.

Winning team gets a trip to Tahiti. That sounds very nice, but still doesn't top the lifetime supply of gasoline given out last season. I now wonder if BP gets to end that deal if their gas stations switch over to ethanol.

And yes, the nerds did excel at the science experiment. I wonder if they listened to their special AR theme music the whole time.

No comments: